Q: What is SoNo Fest?
A: SoNo Fest & Chili Cook-Off is an annual tradition. Run by volunteers, the street festival features a restaurant chili cook-off, a huge craft beer & beverage garden, food truck court, local handmade crafts, live music on three stages all day, and fun activities for the kids!
Check out the chili makers here: 2022 CHILI MAKERS
Q: When and where is it?
A: Sunday, December 4th, 2022 from 11 am to 5 pm at the intersection of 32nd & Thorn Streets in North Park, San Diego. It’s always the first Sunday in December.
Q: Do I need a ticket?
A: If you want to taste the chili, there are 3 options:
- OPTION 1: Advance Purchase – $25: Purchase a handmade ceramic bowl and one tasting pass (good for 5 chili tastings) from San Diego Ceramic Connection at 32nd & Thorn for $25.
Available Times until supplies run out (supplies are limited, so get them early!)
– Friday 12/2 from 6-8p;
– Saturday 12/3 from 11-4p;
– Sunday 12/4 from 10:30 am
- OPTION 2: Online Purchase – $25 and/or $22: Skip the line and buy tickets online before the event. You can buy a SoNo Fest Commemorative MUG and tasting pass (good for 5 chili tastings) for $25. Or buy a paper bowl and tasting ticket for $22. NOTE: You cannot buy a handmade ceramic bowl online, they are only available from San Diego Ceramic Connection (see option 1).
- OPTION 3: Day of Event – $25 and/or $22. You’re a procrastinator? Good on ya, get your tickets the day of SoNo Fest at the main sales booth at 32nd & Thorn streets – SoNo Fest Commemorative MUG and tasting pass (good for 5 chili tastings) for $25 or a paper bowl and tasting ticket for $22 while supplies last (sells out fast).
Q: How many tastings do i get per Tasting Pass?
A: Each Tasting pass is good for 5 Chili Tastings
Q: What if I don’t eat meat? Doesn’t all chili have meat?
A: Thank you cows, pigs, chickens, and sheep everywhere but all chili doesn’t have meat. So don’t worry you can still enjoy SoNo Fest as a vegetarian, there are plenty of vegetarian and even vegan chili options!
Q: I Can’t get enough chili – how can I get MORE chili?
A: Sometimes we do run out of chili during the event (usually by 3 pm) – for the best variety, get there EARLY. If you really want MORE CHILI, you can purchase an additional tasting pass (good for 5 chili tastings) for $22.
Q: What do you do with the money you make at SoNo Fest?
A: That’s the best part – 100% of the proceeds go to the McKinley School Foundation to support the arts, dance, language, and gardening programs at McKinley Elementary School in North Park, and the International Baccalaureate (IB) program. Our kids (and parents and teachers) thank you for your support. All you have to do is enjoy the chili and beverages, and have fun knowing your contributions will be doing something good for our community and the world.
SoNo Fest is presented by the McKinley Elementary PTC and the San Diego Ceramic Connection (SDCC). This event brings together the community and local businesses for a good cause and a good time – together we are building a sustainable future for the next generation of our neighborhood.