Another North Park brewery that is near and dear to our hearts, is Mike Hess Brewery. Located on Grim, just below University Ave, Hess Brewing is a large and airy space filled with all the production equipment necessary to grow produce some of the most popular beer in San Diego. Open and airy, long community tables allow for conversation to flow between parties and there is often a taco cart serving food in the back. There is so much to learn about Mike Hess Brewing, we thought we would break it down for you in five, bite sized, pieces:
1. After tasting all of the delicious beer, you can get a 32 oz draft beer of your choice to take home in what is known as a “purrowler,” a large can that is sealed right there while you watch!
2. Their Rye IPA, Habitus, took gold at the 2014 World Beer cup and just happened to unseat the reigning champ, Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye.
3. Mike is considered a national expert when it comes to opening and running nano-breweries and is sought out for advice from brewers across the country.
4. Mike Hess Brewing was named San Diego’s most popular brewery in a 2011 Taphunter.com poll.
5. They are the first brewery to purchase a canning line for their beers and their cans can be found in stores and bottle shops all over California as well as Arizona.
With over 26 beers across 14 different styles, Mike Hess Brewing is must visit brewery here in San Diego. They are also awesome all around for joining us in our beer garden at the SoNo Fest this year. Stop by and taste their delicious beer on December 6th!